Hotel Rural El Jardín Vertical
Vilafamés is a beautiful medieval town in the interior of Castellón recognized as one of the most charming municipalities in the entire province. Located at 391 meters of altitude, in its steep streets the history and the cultural avant-garde converge, ideal for rural tourism, visit the old town, the Museum of Contemporary Art, the Roman road or the Iberian town, or practice activities such as visits to the town’s cellar, hiking, climbing or excursions. If it is about sports activities, Vilafamés has routes for horseback riding and cycling and also, just 15 kilometres away, you can practice Golf at the Club de Campo del Mediterráneo.
Walking through Vilafamés is a wonderful experience that invites us to discover an old town with narrow streets and medieval alleys that guide us to the top of this village crowned by a castle. The essential tourist attractions of Vilafamés are the Castle, the Church of the Assumption, the Roman road, the Arab zone called the Quartijo and the Museum of Contemporary Art. Also, in the outskirts of the town stands out the Iberian Town of Els Estrets-Racó de Rata, dated between III a.C and I a.C. An archaeological site whose nucleus is situated on a hill protected by a walled enclosure.
Also, a few kilometres from Vilafamés, we find the Natural Park of the Desierto de las Palmas nestled in a coastal range parallel to the coast. This Park has a series of ruins and buildings of great interest such as the castle of Miravet, the castle of Montornés and the old castle, as well as the hermitage of Les Santes and Magdalena.
Vilafamés is located 24 Kilometers from Castellón de la Plana, the capital city of the province, and 20 minutes by car from the sea, from beaches such as Grao or Benicasim.
What can you do in Vilafamés?
ANCIENT QUARTER OF VILAFAMESASCO ANTIGUO DE VILAFAMES
-What better way to kick off your stay than by getting to know the area. We would recommend a guided tour of the Vilafamés ancient quarter. Discover its rich history within its ancient streets and buildings, such as the Church de la Sangre. Or the medieval homes of the town’s first inhabitants, nestling in the slopes of the Castle. These charming, tiny houses are overflowing with plants and have exceptional views of the surrounding countryside. In these Castle “skirts”, known as the “Abric del Castell”, you will also find a cave replete with cave paintings from the eneolithic period, which given its unique historic importance, may only be visited twice a year. As you would imagine, the local inhabitants also love the Roman road and would always recommend you don’t miss an opportunity to visit it.
MODERN ART MUSEUM
– One of the many features of the municipality is the Vicente Aguilera Cerni Museum of Modern Art. Named after this prestigious historian and art critic, the building’s impressive façade alone is worth seeing, as it was built as a Valencian Gothic Palace in the 15th Century. Within its walls, you can explore twenty nine galleries of contemporary art, all of which were donated or loaned on a temporary, or indefinite basis.
VISIT THE ANCIENT IBERIAN VILLAGE
– Before your day comes to an end, we would highly recommend a visit to the Iberian Village, where excavations of a metre and a half deep have revealed the wall that enclosed the village, or the stones they used to mill the wheat. It is fascinating to appreciate just how the Iberian people of that time lived.
DINE AT EL JARDIN VERTICAL
– After a busy day, taking in all the sights, what better way to relax than to enjoy dinner at our hotel? In Summer, it is also served by candle-light on the terrace.
– The Wine Route along Useres to Vilafamés takes in a series of different wine cellars and finishes at the renowned Bodega Mayo Garcia (in the town of Vilafamés itself). We have an exclusive arrangement with this Bodega for guided tours, which are free of charge exclusively for El Jardin Vertical guests.
CLUB DE GOLF DEL MEDITERRANEO
– We would recommend an afternoon’s golf at the Club de Golf del Mediterráneo. Scratch golfers to absolute beginners can try their swing on this 18 hole course. There is also a 20% discount on the green fees for clients of El Jardín Vertical.
– On this exclusive Catamaran Trip, we take you out to the stunning island chain, “Las Islas Columbretes”, one of the richest treasures of Castellón. A National Park of volcanic origin, it is now a marine reserve and provides a fantastic location for snorkeling and diving.